Vencore Software Engineer Technical Specialist in Chantilly, Virginia
Vencore is a proven provider of information solutions, engineering and analytics for the U.S. Government. With more than 40 years of experience working in the defense, civilian and intelligence communities, Vencore designs, develops and delivers high impact, mission-critical services and solutions to overcome its customers most complex problems.
Headquartered in Chantilly, Virginia, Vencore employs 3,800 engineers, analysts, IT specialists and other professionals who strive to be the best at everything they do.
Vencore is an AA/EEO Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Successful candidates must have the ability to:
- Manage expectations and develop / execute realistic schedules against an undocumented legacy software baseline to enhance that software to accommodate model updates necessary to modernize prediction.
- Be comfortable with routine interactions with subject-matter experts who may not all be conversant in software development or associated topics/languages, to help capture, schedule and execute requirements in code baseline.
- Provide expertise and direction in the development and/or modification of computer-based scientific, technical, and business software systems.
- Use expertise to design develop, code, test, and debug software.
- Work in one or several areas, such as equipment or software design, engineering evaluation or test, configuration management procedures, statistical analysis and modeling.
- Work with users to define existing or new system scope and objectives.
- Provide analytical support and technical advice during the conceptualization, development, and implementation phases.
Plan and schedule new applications systems projects with user, systems software, and computer center operations personnel, including the identification of objectives, time frames, costs, and manpower requirements.
Perform tasks necessary to ensure the identification and documentation of hazards within software systems using various analysis tools and techniques.
- Review and evaluate systems and software for adherence to government or commercial directives, standards, guidelines, and criteria concerning software safety and systems safety.
- Confirm design mitigations are captured in the design and its documentation and verifies implementation.
- May perform as a project lead with the responsibility for the instruction, assigning, direction, and monitoring of the performance of assigned systems developers / analyst working on a specific project.
- Be a self-starter and self-motivator +
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Comfortably and flexibly working as sole developer or within a small team
- Make recommendations to technical, non-developer peer engineers and subject-matter experts (e.g. orbital analysts, data scientists, etc.)
- Reverse-engineer sophisticated undocumented software baselines in FORTRAN and C
- Manage software development activities – to include routine development of associated schedules, risks/opportunities and Microsoft PowerPoint-based deliverables
- Demonstrate technical leadership of one or more developers / analysts
- Lead technical exchange meetings, or participate as a subject-matter expert (SME) for multidisciplinary modeling, simulation and analysis software development effort
- Propose meaningful efficiencies and delivery increments to ensure incremental improvement and “fail-fast” development
- Active TS/SCI Clearance
- BS/MS in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent experience
- 16+ years of experience with software/tools development, systems analysis, systems engineering and a minimum of 10 years of recent agency specific experience
- Experience with Modeling & Simulation Analysis, including tool set-up and execution
- Strong systems analysis skills, with the ability to identify and accurately describe system issues
- Experienced in utilizing more than one of the following tools/languages: FORTRAN, C/C++, PERL, SAS
- Strong interpersonal, oral presentation and writing skills, problem solving, and multi-tasking skills
- Cloud and/or distributed computing experience
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; Experience using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative technical solutions or approaches to problems
- Demonstrated experience in performance data analytics and assessments
Job ID 2017-48006
# of Openings Remaining 1
Residency Status U.S. Citizenship Required
Clearance Top Secret/SCI
Employee Type Regular
Time Type Full Time