Vencore Expert Forensic Hardware Specialist in Herndon, Virginia
Vencore is a proven provider of information solutions, engineering and analytics for the U.S. Government. With more than 40 years of experience working in the defense, civilian and intelligence communities, Vencore designs, develops and delivers high impact, mission-critical services and solutions to overcome its customers most complex problems.
Headquartered in Chantilly, Virginia, Vencore employs 3,800 engineers, analysts, IT specialists and other professionals who strive to be the best at everything they do.
Vencore is an AA/EEO Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Join Vencore in support of a future contract to provide network security services for an Intelligence Community customer to protect against outside threats. Work with the incident response and forensics teams to perform malware analysis specializing in mobile technology and the internet-of things (IoT) . Duties include:
- Use expertise in malware reverse engineering and analysis to evaluate and analyze complex malicious code through the use of tools, including dissemblers, debuggers, hex editors, un-packers, virtual machines, and network sniffers.
- Conduct reverse-engineering for known and suspected malware files. Investigates instances of malicious code to determine attack vector and payload, and to determine the extent of damage and data exfiltration.
- Provide detailed reports of any findings. Performs research in the area of malicious software, vulnerabilities, and exploitation tactics. Identify vulnerabilities in binaries, identify and analyze shell-code, and recommend preventative or defensive actions.
- Reverse-engineer malware and incorporate analysis results into detailed reporting to include behavior, identified infrastructure used for command and control, and mitigation techniques. Develop network and host based signatures to identify specific malware. Recommend heuristic or anomaly based detection methods. Compare malware to existing malware signatures.
- A bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer science, or other closely related IT discipline. Equivalent work of eight (8) years’ of demonstrated experience may be considered on a case by case basis.
- Experience in hardware reverse engineering.
- Experience performing low-level data extraction Joint Test Action Group (JTAG), chip-off, etc.
- Experience identifying vulnerabilities and modifications to hardware.
- Understanding of computer engineering and hardware design including digital logic design and printed circuit board design.
- Understanding of hardware-level security exploits including signal injection and side-channel analysis.
- Experience in soldering, including equipment and materials required to perform removal and replacement of surface mount devices.
- Experience in the operation and use of digital oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, multi-meters, logic analyzers, signal generators, and specialized radio test systems.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Minimum 7 years’ of progressively responsible experience performing hardware reverse engineering, forensic investigations, cyber security incident response, with a minimum of 5 years’ of experience specifically conducting hardware reverse engineering investigations.
- Top Secret/SCI w/Poly
- Certifications: Certified Reverse Engineering Analyst (CREA), GIAC Reverse Engineering Malware (GREM), or related certification.
- Experience with data recovery tools (PC-3000) and techniques.
- Demonstrated experience using Commercial (IDA Pro, Hex-Rays, WinDbg, etc.) and Open Source (OllyDbg, Radare, GDB, etc.) tools and methods to perform software and malware reverse engineering investigations.
- Demonstrated experience writing code (C, C++, Python, etc.) to perform repetitive tasks such as simulating domain generation algorithms.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing disassembled code for x86-64 and ARM (32 and 64 bit).
Job ID 2017-49061
# of Openings Remaining 2
Category Information Technology
Residency Status U.S. Citizenship Required
Clearance Top Secret/SCI w/Poly
Employee Type Regular
Time Type Full Time